Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fourfold Topics

Post Number: 10
Days of Tracking: 3
Goal Met: Buying a Swimsuit

I couldn't seem to decide which topic to write on today, so I will write a short paragraph on each of four thoughts from my day today.

Tough Lesson
Very busy, hectic day with an exceptionally irritating start. There is the strange design to the sewer pipes at the place we rent. Every once in awhile, water will go down the kids' toilet and come up ours. I don't know much about plumbing design, but based on science, I suspect a vacuum forms and prevents flow to the septic tank. Part of this deductions comes from the fact that I can remove the drain plug that is just outside the bathroom and, fairly quickly, water flow will be restored. The tough lesson here was I need to work more on my plans (Reminder: Plans - ideas, techniques, and methods for overcoming hurdles and barriers including forgiving myself when I make a mistake). I had quite a few feelings that let to angry expressions; expressions that need to be removed from my behavioral options. But not having the plans already in place, well, let's just say I didn't go to my happy place. This will be my focus after meal planning has been accomplished.


Major Success
A good friend of mine sent me this great link: What the Dying Want Us to Know About Living. Here is my reply:
Heya SM,
That was a great read. Thank you for sharing. But like all things, there is a time and a season. I was rather rushing this morning because water was coming up the toilet. Then, there was no time to dawdle. But I believe I do stop and spend time with my children. I take as evidence of this that all of my kids (except Asian Red Fox, because she is now too old for this kind of display), will run up and hug me in greeting, climb on me when I sit down, and tell me every tale that immediately pops into their head.
And you might notice the similarity between the article and the signature to my work e-mail that I have been using since I announced my departure.
A great read and a better reminder,
Eliot Smith – Math/Science Instructor
ITT Technical Institute - Boise, ID 046
12302 West Explorer Drive
Boise, Idaho 83713-1529
(208) 322-8844
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away 
Even this afternoon, when I went shopping for swim trunks to fit me ($45. Ouch!), MBWM brought the kids to the store to meet me there while I was on break from work. Lemur and Jaguar each grabbed a hand. Our rule: Hands in the parking lot. Iguana was denied by the girls from sharing my hands and became a barnacle at my back. Iguana insisted on joining me in the changing room. He even helped hang back up clothing weren't going to buy. Lemur and Jaguar danced around the store trying to find as many BSU items for me to try on as possible. I felt very loved by my kids. I believe they know that I love them right back. And their fronts. And their sides. And...


Minor Epiphany
After eating and tracking for a few days, I better understand now why I have 71 points at Weight Watchers. At 71 points I can eat in a similar fashion to how I was eating before I started. I frequently feel very satisfied while hitting the goal. I can pat myself on the back (or have one of my younger kids do it) while knowing I am making better and better decisions. It all feels good. But it doesn't feel good enough. Which is why...


New Directions
I have an idea for a new direction. I have been a fan of Kimkins. At its most basic explanation, it is low carb and low fat. I have lost weight like crazy on Kimkins. But I've also regained it afterwards. I believe I regained it because it doesn't really train you during how to behave after. They have a maintenance plan. It makes sense. But for me, the maintenance plan didn't work. But now, I have decided to combine Kimkins and Weight Watchers. My game plan is to track food eaten, calculate points used, measure food carefully at meals, attend meetings, and be a good little dieter. But the menu planning, for only me, will revolve around picking Kimkins friendly foods (lean meats, low carb veggies like lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.). I will keep this up until I have dropped into the 300's. That was my main concern. At a maximum of 2 pounds lost per week, I will be 6 or 7 months to break into the 300's. That's too long. But, once in the 300's, I will make a 2 to 3 week transition to leave Kimkins behind and focus on Weight Watchers. I have run this by MBWM. She is in agreement. I will be running it by here again this evening to make sure she is still okay with it. But I am even more excited about the future prospects.


May your day turn problems into lessons and successes into joys,

Eliot

P.S.: I'm not overweight. I am under-tall. I am the correct weight for 12' 9'.

No comments:

Post a Comment