Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I Attend My First Yog-Ow Class

Post Number: 39
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 31 of 71 (Goal: 15)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Meetings Attended: Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: Yoga at the Y

I went to my Yoga class without MBWM. :-( She enjoyed her Yoga class at CWI. I was hoping she would enjoy this one as well. Plus, it would be nice to have some hand holding, metaphorical or literal, for the first visit. She was in bad shape, though, and didn't attend. I expected to not go to the class, just speak with the instructor because we never found MBWM's Yoga equipment - mat, blocks, straps - after the move. It didn't matter. I should have known that the Y would have all of the items needed available, mats, blocks, straps, and blankets and chairs. I was rather impressed with myself. First, I managed to get down to the floor and back up without injury. I'm sure I looked a sorry sight. I also managed to get 30 minutes through the class before throwing in the towel. I knew Yoga would be difficult, but I now I have an idea of how difficult. Early on, as the instructor was simplifying and adapting the poses, I remembered the scene from Kung Fu Panda where Shifu says, "There is now a level zero," after seeing Po attempt the obstacle course. Fortunately, the class and instructor were patient with me. I tried a few more of the poses after resting for about 10 minutes, but I only lasted about another 5 minutes. I just sat and observed for the remainder of the time. At the start of cool down period (not the technical Yoga term), I was invited to the floor again. But I was still in too much pain and feared having to become upright again. Yoga is going to be a once a week visit. I'm not sure I can handle much more of that. Although I do want to figure out how to practice some of the poses at home.

Something I can practice at home is the Overeaters Anonymous steps and learn the traditions. While I am still re-learning the process, I am already feeling the camaraderie that comes from struggling upward against our own behaviors and habits. It was wonderful to hear some people describe bad habits and even better to hear everyone, even the speaker, laugh at them. The original topic was not pushing our ideas onto new comers. But the topic quickly changed to discussing how much to you tell someone, friend, family, co-worker, etc., about your compulsive eating behavior. As it turned out, there were examples of support and enabling. And there was strength all around.

Much of yesterday was busy with many tasks, but none of them were related to getting things done in unpacking, sorting, and dejunking. That needs to be of prime importance when I am home. But taking the time to eat properly, attend meetings, and accomplish exercise has been of a blessing. Although, after attending Yoga, or should I say, Yo-Gow. Ow ow ow ow ow ow ooooooooow, anyway, after attending I am going to need to learn the less painful means of succeeding at Yoga.

Yours in the joyful opportunity to seek out new life (mine),

Eliot

P.S.:
Some Star Trek Humor for you (Click a picture to expand) -







No comments:

Post a Comment