Monday, November 4, 2013

Restart Process Engaged (Evaluation Weeks 7 through 10)

Last Weigh In: Saturday, 2 November 2013
Weight Information -
      Weight: 451.0 lbs
      Weight Change This Week: +3.0 lbs
      Weight Change To Date: -2.2 lbs
      Weight Gauge: Ow, ow, ow, ooooooow (from packing, moving, & sorting while this overweight)

Current Goals -
     Number Goal: 430 lbs
     Distance to Goal: 21.0 lbs
     Feel Good Goal: Enjoy the new house while setting it up
     Distance to Goal: Right around the corner
     The Y: Go to aquatics classes this week.
     Distance to Goal: It's doable, especially with MBWM leading the way
     Weight Watchers:
          Use the paper tracker every day this week including calculating points
          Use 56 for my daily points
          Avoid using 49 weekly points. Daily points have 15 available. That's 105 per week.
          Attend at least two regular meetings this week
     Distance to Goal: Can we do this? Yes, we can!
     Overeaters Anonymous: Attend two meetings this week
     Distance to Goal: Right around the corner

EVALUATION:
Today's entry isn't so much an evaluation as a description of what happens next. But here is the short review of the last several weeks which has returned me back to my starting point. One, had to move. Two, worked hard at packing, sorting, moving, repairing and cleaning. Three, pain increased to the point that I would wake in intense pain and it would only get worse over the course of the day. Four, slowly, old habits in food selection worsened in both quality and quantity. Result: Steady weight gain. I am saddened to be so far into Weight Watchers and have such poor success. And I am also saddened by the fact that my physical abilities have decreased to the point that my arthritic wife gets more done than I do.

IVCUFI:
I have found the way (IV) back. I am blogging. I will exercise. I will attend my meetings. I will select low-carb/low fat foods. My weight loss is my job right now.

I have seized the road (CU). I will not let this set back hold me back. I will have my greatest success yet. I will visualize myself at my next goal of 430 lbs. I will visualize losing weight like it was January 1st through out the holiday season.

I am enjoying the journey (FI). Maybe not so much yet. But I do enjoy my new environs. And I am grateful to have my family around me to work with me.


Post Number: 30
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 14 of 71 (Goal: 15)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: None Scheduled

As described previously, my wife is showing greater agility in getting around the house than I am. As an initial yardstick of my physical well being, my own house will serve as a measure. In the new house with its two floors, I am still in so much pain that I have to crawl up the stairs. Those stairs will be a good measure of progress for the next few weeks. I am sure other ones will avail themselves in the weeks ahead.

So now it's Forward to Future Successes. I have made a schedule of Health Improvement Activities. It is posted below. I won't be able to make it to Yoga this week because of an all-day event associated with Election Day scheduled long in advance. But other than that, I will be striving to make the schedule. I will be updating my header to include day-by-day breakdown of the activities of the previous day related to daily points used, weekly points used (hopefully it will be a perpetual zero for quite some time), meeting attended, and exercise completed. As well as the schedule, MBWM and I will be mapping out a walking path around our new neighborhood.

Day
Time
Event
Monday
7:00– 9:00 am
YMCA Aquatics Class
Tuesday
9:00 – 10:00 am
12:00 – 1:00 pm
YMCA Beginners Yoga
Overeaters Anonymous
2201 Woodlawn Avenue, Boise
Wednesday
7:00 – 9:00 am
11:30 am – 12:00 pm
YMCA Aquatics Class
Weight Watchers (no weigh in)
Thursday
7:00 – 8:00 pm
Overeaters Anonymous
2701 S File Mile Road, Boise
Friday
7:00 – 9:00 am
YMCA Aquatics Class
Saturday
8:00 – 9:00 am
Weight Watchers (weigh in)

In the past, I have had incredible success with a program called Kimkins. I believe I have referenced it in this blog in the past. The only complication with Kimkins and many of the low-carb variations is that maintenance is more often weight gain than weight maintain. My goal is to get below the 400 pound mark with Kimkins. I want to get below the 400 mark quickly. This weight is painful just to carry around. I will use Kimkins for two weeks and review my progress. Most notably, I will review the ease of those two weeks more than the pounds lost. If those two weeks are too difficult, then I will switch to something else. If the difficulty is barely noticed, then I will try another two weeks. Once the difficulty reaches "too hard" or my weight drops below 400 pounds, I will be switching to something else. MBWM reminded me of something when I was discussing this plan with her last night. After my second round with Kimkins, which worked but was shortened because it had become too difficult, I had created a program of weight loss that was a merging of three programs. I called it VeggieDaBody. It was a mix of a vegetarian diet, the Dash Diet (from the American Heart Association), and Body for Life. Details to follow. Regardless of the process used to select the foods I eat, I will be using Weight Watchers program for tracking the food through the Points Plus Value system. I even purchased two of their handheld calculators for MBWM and I to be able to calculate as we go. They are nice units that not only calculate the points, but also store up to the last seven days while tracking both daily and weekly points.

At one of the Weight Watchers meetings, a recommendation for an app was given. It is called Couch to 5K (C25K). It gradually increases your work out from couch potato to being able to run the 5K. It let's you play your music from the app. It has audible cues to change your work out level. It's not available on Windows Phone, although there is a similar one I am considering.

Quick Tangent: An astounding blog entry on marriage was passed along to me from MBWM that I couldn't keep to myself - Marriage Isn't for You.

Yours in the joy of a successes to come,

Eliot

P.S.:
From MBWM: Why did the chicken cross the road? Because he wanted to see a man lay bricks.
From Iguana: Why did the chicken cross the road twice? Because he was a double-crosser.


NOTES
Weight Watchers, Saturday, 12 October 2013
How many waking hours per day is the average American sedentary?

How confident do you feel about your plan for the fall and your progress so far? What behavior do you want to develop for the fall?

  • Inside exercise
  • Bake and then give it away
  • Soups - with nutritious veggies
  • Stop sitting through a show - walk in place
  • Drink water even though it's colder
Get up and walk at least five minutes every waking hours. Think about the sitting activities performed.
Sedentary activities -
  • Morning - Breakfast / commute / computer / work / meetings / school / travel / lawn mower / reading news / TV
  • Afternoon - Sewing / crafting / watching news / lunch / drive / computer / work / homework / resting
  • Night - TV / Dinner / watching kids be active / computer / video games / homework
When is sitting a necessity? 
  • Driving - Try: Kiegel exercises, butt crunches, isometrics w/wheel
  • Toilet
When is sitting a convenience?
  • Computer - Try: Pedestal for for computer, core ball
  • TV - Try: Dusting, walking around, don't eat, hand weights
When is sitting a social expectation?
  • Meals - Try: sitting up straight, work on core muscles
  • Meetings - Try: sitting up straight, work on core muscles
How many minutes per day are you doing this? Add them up.

If you chose NOT to sit:
  • What activity can you add to your traditionally seated moments?
  • What will give you the motivation to actually do it?
Easier to lose weight when not sitting. Health issues arise from sitting. Options:
  • Stay on program
  • 10,000 steps every day
Click "Routine" on eTools. Be more physically active / Less napping

How will you get off your chair and onto your feet? This week, get up and walk five minutes every hour.


Weight Watchers, Saturday, 19 October 2013
This month's routine - Get up and Walk at least five minutes every hour

How did your one little change get you moving? Moved more

This week - Change is Good
Why would anyone actively seek out change?
  • Gets you out of your comfort zone
  • Look at things differently
  • Get out of a rut
  • Keep from getting bored
  • All at WW for change, tired of feeling tired
  • Get a handle on it now
  • Want active control, don't let food push you around
  • Need change in perspective and attitude
We resist change
  • Why is it so hard to change? Easier not to change
  • How do you feel when you're thinking about change?
  • How do you feel when you've made the decision to change? Empowered, Invigorated
  • How do you feel once the chance becomes routine?
Make a change.
  • New doesn't mean better
  • Round can help or hurt
    • Help: Get it done
    • Hurt: get a better routine
Key for following list: Activity (A) / Eating (E) / Other (O)

Changes made since joining WW:
  • Breakfast every morning (E)
  • Walking a little further (A)
  • Cutting out sugar (E)
  • Mindful eating (E)
  • More fruits and veggies (E)
  • 7-8 hours of sleep - consistently (O)
  • Packing a snack (E)
  • Portion control (E)
  • Cute clothing (O)
  • Wear nice exercise stuff (A)
  • Dress Up (O)
  • Eat less (E)
  • Only current sizes in closet (O)
  • Focus on self (O)
  • Serving sizes (E)
  • Someone on the journey with you (O)
  • Come to meetings (O)
  • Switch up meeting (O)
  • Moving more (A)
  • Standing up (A)
  • Joining gym (A)
  • New activities (A)
  • Have a plan (O)
  • More aware of food selection and serving size (E)
What changes are worth the effort? Share your plan - friendliest, most change-worthy advice
  • Just start running
  • Couch to 5K app (C25K)
  • Comparison is the thief of joy
Little change I'll try this week. Based on what you learned in your meeting, write down a to-do. Make it simple, specific, and small. Small so you know for sure you will do it.

Weight Watchers, Saturday, 2 November 2013
Get up and walk at leave five minutes each hour

What was hard or helpful about last week?

Ask the experts - What tools (both internal and external) helped you move forward to maintenance and lifetime membership?
Tools to achieve milestones - mostly weight loss, activity, health
Pick one tool hear today, commit to that one little change
Tools:
  • Time
  • Dedication
  • New way of living
  • What I have now is not what I want
  • Meetings are important
  • Know the points from experience
  • Pedometer (gotta find mine, it's packed away somewhere)
  • Celebration of successes
Your lifetime toolkit. Tell us about your success. Which tools did you use to accomplish this?
  • Got out of a funk - Overcame funk with eating only power foods
  • Big change to overcome plateaus
  • Pre-tracking to avoid overindulgence in a holiday
  • Undo an overindulgence by recommitting and restarting the next day
  • Weekly allowance
  • Holidays are on one day, not the month
  • Make November the new January
  • Weigh-in weekly
  • Plateaus will shake off if you stick to it
  • Go to meetings
  • Frozen healthy meals
  • Pack lunch
  • Past successes
  • Eat in - do own cooking
  • Farmers Market
  • Have to want it enough to do the work
  • Visualize goals (include pictures)
  • eTools
  • apps
  • Measuring tools
  • Cook books
  • Gym membership
  • Reminders on phone
  • Wii fit (Kinect)
  • Active link
  • PPV Calculator
  • Stubbornness
  • Awareness
  • Perseverance
  • Determination
Why are your accomplishments so gratifying?

Where do you want to be on January 1?

"Do not wait. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your co0mmand, and better tools will be found as you go along." - Napolean Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment