Monday, November 25, 2013

Short and Sweet... As if I could do that.... Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Post Number: 51
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 40 of 71 (Goal: 21)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 1975 (It was a very good year)
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: None Scheduled

A slow day today brought about by a sick family.

Put my five sticky notes on a Wheaties box the kids emptied at breakfast. The reminders were right in front of me whenever I was at the table. It helped.

Hoped for and achieved an early night. But also had a miserable night. Our sick little Quail spent the night kickboxing in our bed. And then there was the 4 am train that came through with a driver that insisted on warning Boise of his impending arrival while still passing through Kuna.

Okay, my original idea was to have a shotgun of short paragraphs describing my day, but that's about to go out the window.

I have spent much of my time pondering Thanksgiving today. While the traditions of Thanksgiving bring forth images of pilgrims and native Americans (as well it should), the institution of the holiday was the responsibility of Abraham Lincoln. He called for a national day of Thanksgiving with important words written by his Secretary of State. The proclamation not only explains why we should be thankful, but how best to express our gratitude, especially in prayer. I have included the proclamation in the P.P.S. When I have prayed of late, I have attempted to ask for nothing, only to express gratitude. And I have found much to be thankful for. At one point, my ponderings concerning gratitude turned to the political strife that seems to divide this country. And I thought about the many people that have served to guard our country's freedom to make our current political expressions possible. Some of those very protectors that Abraham Lincoln spoke of in his proclamation. Veterans Day wasn't very long ago, so these thoughts all blend together. A patriotic song asks the question, "Who are the brave?" The lyrics are also in the P.P.S. While the brave are certainly among those that gave the last full measure of devotion and those that might well have done the same, there is so much more bravery than this short song can express. And so I give thanks for the bravery of those that reach out to what I consider one of the highest of human ideals, building bridges of reconciliation across the gap of strife caused by religion, politics, and other differences. The great Redeemer of us all turned none away, the down-trodden and the powerful, the outcast and the common, the opportunist and the grateful, the denier, the betrayer, the mourner, and the believer. He knew we were all children of God. And that is enough to be recipients of His Love. And for that example, I am especially grateful.

I am thankful for the sickness that helps me to appreciate health.

I am thankful for a wonderful house, even with its proximity to the train tracks.

I am thankful for the simply steps that lead to success.

I am thankful for the extra rest I will received by getting to bed early tonight.

I am thankful for my beautiful MBWM and her loving, faithful loyalty.

I am thankful for my brave Horse and her artistic delights.

I am thankful for my intelligent Asian Red Fox and inspiring joy.

I am thankful for my strong Iguana and the strength of character he is building.

I am thankful for my loving Jagaur and her joyful dancing.

I am thankful for my smart Lemur and her contagious bouncing.

I am thankful for my missing Shrike and her patience in joining her family.

I am thankful for my growing Quail and the adorable example he is to everyone.

And I am thankful that I have the responsibility to be husband and father. And as a husband and father, I am most grateful for the opportunity to receive of the forgiveness that my wife and kids offer me so many times each and every day as I learn to be better at what I am doing.

I am thankful for my mother, step mother, father, mother-in-law, and father-in-law for reasons that I will have to expound upon another day. For my intention of short and sweet has become long and (hopefully) satiated.

Yours in the grateful hope of reconciliation being spread,

Eliot

P.S.:
"Gratitude is one of the most important human virtues and one of the most common human deficiencies. Gratitude does not develop without effort." - President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

P.P.S.:
Washington, D.C.
October 3, 1863

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

William H. Seward,
Secretary of State

Who are the Brave?
Who are the brave? Those who go to war.
Who are the brave? Those who fight no more.
Those who gave their lives, protecting freedom's shore.
Who are the brave? Those who serve in war.
Who are the brave? Those who live with pain.
Who are the brave? Those whose lives are plain.
Those with healthy bodies, those protecting the unsure.
Who are the brave? Those who serve the poor.
Who are the brave? Those whose speech is free
Who are the brave? Those loving liberty.
All those with heart and mind, protecting all they find.
Who are the brave? Those who serve mankind.
These are the brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment