Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Premature Commencement of Yoga

Post Number: 46
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 37 of 71 (Goal: 21)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 1677 (paused)
     Meetings Attended: Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: Yoga turning out to be too painful

Time is running away from me once again. It seems to me, if you want to be busy, you can be busy. I am definitely getting much done. I am especially grateful for my current financial resources that are making so much of the exercise, meeting attendance, and diet planing/tracking possible. I've also managed to put in some time here and there in unpacking and de-junking. I have also done some minor job searching, which will have to become major soon. I cannot stretch my resources too much farther.

I also cannot stretch my body too far to make yoga valuable. I do believe that I started the classes prematurely. I do want to get the benefits of yoga. And I plan a exploring meditation since none of it came up in class. I have enjoyed meditation in the past, so I will be starting it up again. But I will have to get in much better shape before I start up yoga again.

But not wanting to lose the advantage of the resources at the Y, I spoke with a YMCA trainer. I asked her if there was a machine she would suggest that would help me burn calories while being easy on the knees. She suggested the bicycle. She also said that when I was ready, I should make sure I had a trainer fit me for the bicycle for best performance and least impact. She said that once I had been on the bicycle for awhile, I should try the elliptical. Your weight is on your knees, but you are moving in a circular motion that isn't jarring. I am hoping to not only get into the machine usage, but also into the another exercise class. I need to get online at the Treasure Valley YMCA website and poke around until I find another class that will benefit me.

Something else that benefits me is OA. We discussed being spiritually fit in advance of the coming holidays. Being ready meant having a Plan of Action. I was asked to share.  While I didn't necessarily think of it as a Plan of Action, I mentioned that the two key things for me during the holidays is that it is a holi-DAY, not a holi-week, or holi-month. The actually makes the holiday more special and helps build the anticipation for the holiday itself. I also mentioned that I am working to have the January 1st attitude right now. That second idea seemed to spark some interest in the discussion.

I am interested in the discussion the carbs I ate yesterday are having with my body. I have been doing quite well in keeping the carb nibbling to a minimum. But yesterday, a little too many carb heavy items (including an entire brownie bite, four whole potato chips, and a complete cracker along with several partial bites of similar items.) I am not too worried, because my points, which includes the carb binge, are still beneath my daily limit and my personal goal. But there was a noticeable change in my body that I attribute to the carbs. I will have to be extra vigilant tomorrow.

And now, in preparation for tomorrow, I am most interested in the process of rest.

Yours in the joyful reunion of mental unconsciousness and physical recovery,

Eliot

P.S.: Desserts spelled backwards is Stressed.

P.P.S.: Came back later to the web site to set up for tomorrow's entry. Lo and Behold! more than 600 page views! Thank you for coming along!

P.P.P.S: I've added another entry to my header, "Pedometer Reading". MBWM found my pedometer after the move. Yay! Today's entry does have and the occasional future entry may have the notation, "(paused)". This notation means that the total will be low. There is a pause button on the front panel. It serves the purpose of pausing the counter while you are driving, biking, or otherwise moving in a manner that would register as steps but aren't steps. This is a good idea. But sometimes, it gets hit while I am still walking. When the pedometer has been paused, the entry will be notated.

No comments:

Post a Comment