Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Good and Bad of Busy Once Again

Post Number: 52
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 48 of 71 (Goal: 21)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 4348
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: Missed Aquatics Class at the Y

Yesterday was a good day for food selection, with one notable and surprising exception. I managed to stay busy, so I was distracted away from any cravings. But the busy-ness was from a family crisis that came up from the extended family. There were some initial instances of Murphic Entropy that slowed my progress towards getting to the Y, but these were light salvos compared to the family crisis that nuked my morning. I ended up missing my aquatics class. That had me bummed. But I'll try and make it up today. I am going to try out a bicycling machine. I'm also going to look for a rowing machine. And I'm hoping to get some good advice in getting started from a trainer. And then afterwards, I am hoping to make a lap or two in the pool. We shall see. All of that will make for a busy day at the gym.

While I was busy dealing with issues from the extended family, I was out and about. I had only had a slice of ham lunch meat and a cheese stick before heading out. After all, I was supposed to be back home before 12 noon. Activities and errands away from the house ended up taking more time because the list grew while we were away. In spite of being exceptionally short on funds, MBWM and I went to Arby's. I received something of a shock. I only ate the meat out of a Roast Beef Max. I was hungry, and it's roast beef, right? The Arby's web site has an online system that includes a Menu Builder that provides the specific nutritional information for your meal. The result? Fat: 23 g Carbohydrates: 1 g Fiber: 0 g Protein: 37 g. That is 9 points. Ouch! I'm still way under my total, but what an on-the-run shock. I suppose I shouldn't have been quite so shocked. Most lunch meats are 1 oz = 1 point. Beef is typically 1 more point than the oz, so 2 oz = 3 points. And I knew that the Arby's Roast Beef sandwiches are 3 oz, 5 oz, and 7 oz because that's is how they used to be labeled on the menu. So, I probably wouldn't have been surprised if I'd thought it through. 7 oz has a quick guess of 8 points. 9 points is only one more point up.

This means that today's lesson is make sure you are busy going through the day to ease the dieting process but pay attention during the food selection.

Yours in the big and little lessons of the day that lead to success,

Eliot

P.S.:
Weight loss is both a sprint and a marathon. Exertions comes in both short, intense bursts of effort and lengthy, exhausting tests of endurance. I must sprint through today to make sure I am actively engaged in the weight loss process- mind, body, heart, and spirit. I must have the mindset that today is only the next step in the marathon. - Eliot Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment