Friday, November 29, 2013

Some Grateful Thoughts on the Day of Giving Thanks

Post Number: 55
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 43 of 71 (Goal: 21) {Didn't track carbohydrates or sodium like I usually do}
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 2006
     Meetings Attended: Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: None Scheduled

My heart is full with gratitude for the bounteous blessings bestowed from on high. I will not be spending much time on today's blog, but typing in thoughts as they hit me when I am near a computer.

Things I am thankful for:
  • The publishing branch of my church for their online, hard copy, and apps that allow access to so much spiritual material. And I only need go out and get it. And sometimes, not even that. They send it to me frequently without being asked.
  • The smart phone that lets me have a church manual open and a scripture reader open at the same time to make reading references very easy
  • And the scripture reader app that lets me take notes
  • The talent and skills in cooking passed on to me by my mother, strengthened in my restaurant experience, and refined in my family
  • Food in the house that was only as difficult as bringing it back from the grocery store
  • Jaguar's delightful excitement for Thanksgiving
  • Lemur's willingness to jump into the middle of the work as a helper
  • The desire to put my house in order
  • The delight in the wonderful house we are renting
  • Jaguar's awe at my dicing several stalk of celery at once
  • Iguana's willingness to start washing the dishes without being asked
  • My kids' enjoyment in veggies. They snitch veggies off of my cutting board while I'm cutting cucumbers, peppers, celery, etc., although not onions
  • My kids' reaction when they snitch a diced onion off of my cutting board and pop it into their mouth before they realize what it is
  • The chance to cook for my family
  • The chance to cook with MBWM and Asian Red Fox
  • Modern technology that lets me stay in touch with family
  • Having less than 2 tablespoons of mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, and sweet potatoes
  • MBWM and Quail getting in a nap after dinner
  • Having two separate floors so MBWM can nap on one floor while I take the kids to another floor
  • Holding off on desserts until the kitchen and dining area were clean. (This didn't work. The kids all decided to go to bed rather than work on the dishes. I did the dishes. I cannot have the desserts, so I'm thinking they will be donated to an upcoming function. Now I need to find an upcoming function.)
  • Getting out the old VHS machine and a box of tapes to watch movies from awhile ago
  • Teaching my kids troubleshooting techniques to get the tape machine working
  • Listening to their suggestions to troubleshoot the VHS machine
  • Spending a lazy late afternoon watching movies with my kids on DVD
I asked my boys what they were thankful for. This is what they said.

Iguana
  • An X-Box
  • Video games for the X-Box
  • Food
  • Lots and lots and lots of food
  • And water. Don't forget to mention water. I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for water.
Quail
  • Mooooovie (pointing at the television)
  • Puuuuuppy (pointing at sticker of cartoon characters that includes a dog)
A couple of events that I wanted to record for my future review and research. For review, the OA meeting topic last night was the insanity surrounding foods that trigger an eating binge. When I shared, I said that there are foods like that for me, but it's especially the situation and my reaction to that situation I need to monitor. If I am going to seek binge food, it's usually under the guise of comfort food when things are not going the way I designed them. Sometimes I'm okay with chaos redirecting or ruining my efforts. Sometimes I am not.

As for research, I am looking to record a data point in my progress here in the blog. One of the ways I can tell that things are going well as far as Kimkins is the color of my pee. I know this isn't the best indicator, but it's the only one I can afford. The primary source of carbs I ate yesterday were from a spinach salad that included tomatoes, cucumbers and olives as carb sources. I did nibble some mashed potatoes, gravy, and sweet potatoes. But in the case of this BLTN, if it reached a total of 2 tablespoons, I would be greatly surprised. But where as the pee indicator was going great for better than 2 and a half days, my first bladder draining after dinner was disappointingly normal.

There are things I can do influence the direction of my weight loss, but the perversity of weight loss is such that the quantity is up to unknown puckish entities that dance freely and playfully beyond my ability to control. I pick the tempo of the music, these entities pick the rigor of the dance. I may play a lively jig, but they dance a regal waltz. I may play a simple dirge, but they dance a bounding ballet. I play a minuet, but they dance a bouncy break dance. You get the idea. But the scientist in me is seeking the better influences to have a little say in the dance.

MBWM passed on a Facebook post to me from her cousin Janelle. I thought I would include it in my Post Script section. I look forward to more thoughts on gratitude as I continue this journey.

Gratefully your servant,

Eliot

P.S.:
Here is a song my kids have been trying to sing all day. Enjoy! The Turkey Song: A Funny Thanksgiving Song.

And to throw a little additional humor your way, enjoy Thanksgiving Jokes.

P.P.S.:
I have included a Facebook post by MBWM's cousin Jonelle. I did make several of edits. I removed middle and last names of the poster, her husband, friends and others, changed ect to etc, changed addition to edition, I added links, and I added spacing between paragraphs. Here is the post -

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone! A year ago today, I was 66 pounds heavier. It was the heaviest weigh in I'd ever had. I was shocked and scared. Since that day, I made a promise to myself to change my behavior. As a food addict, that task seemed impossible. HOWEVER I was determined to stop the madness and get my life back. This is what I've learned this year. **Sorry in advance, this is a long post.

1) Just because I have a lot of weight to lose doesn't mean it's going to come off quickly because I am eating right and exercising. I've been disappointed at times of how slow the weight has come off. So I'm learning this process takes A LOT of patience and persistence. It took time to get heavy and it's going to take time to get rid of it.

2) Motivation is 95% of weight loss and it is Contagious. I've surrounded myself with people, groups, quotes, pictures, and food that has kept me motivated daily. Here are a few on my Facebook feed every day. Ruby (she's lost over 350 pounds and is still going strong), Ilene (my neighbor who has lost 100 pounds, posting workouts and healthy activities she's doing), Shawny (kicking it at boot camp workouts and posting inspirational quotes), Courtney Crozier – Biggest Loser Season 11 (showing me how active your life can be every day), Tiffany (my personal trainer, life coach, and healer - taking me to the next level), Denise (showing me places to travel and that personal goals can be met), Stephanie (her weight loss story helped me find my personal trainer), Joe (my cousin's 80+ pound weight loss), People in my ward who run amazing races (Jim, Kevin, Stephanie, etc), Sparkpeople.com (amazing recipes, workouts, weight loss tools, etc), Extreme Makeover Weight loss edition, my religion (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) reminding me of who I am (a daughter of God), my husband (Martin) for loving me through the good and bad days, and many of you who are brave and make amazing choices each day. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

3) No matter what anyone tells you, there is no quick fix for weight loss. Weight loss is not curable from a pill, gimmick, diet, or surgery. You still have to do the work. Some of these things can help you get there, BUT in the end YOU have to do the work. You have to get your butt up every day and choose to workout, eat fruits and vegetables, and stay motivated. And it TAKES TIME. Time is going to pass anyways, but you can choose how you spend it.

4) You absolutely cannot, without a shadow of a doubt, lose weight on your own. You have to have tools, people, groups, family, friends, neighbors, pets, etc to help you reach your goals. It is true. I have not come this far without help from someone or something.

5) Staying educated. There is just too much to learn about the human body and new studies are happening each day to teach us how to care for our bodies. I read a lot of articles on food and exercise to help me change things up.

6) It's okay to eat carbs, have your cake, enjoy a burger, BUT all things in moderation and portion control.

7) Being Fat or Being Thin BOTH take work. It takes work to maintain the calories you consume being overweight. Clothing is harder to find in stores and more expensive too. More doctors visits and/or prescriptions are required. And it's tough to get around and have the energy needed to live life. I personally found I was more depressed. Being healthy requires working out, eating better foods, and staying motivated, BUT I am learning the benefits outweigh the work.

I have a lot to be thankful for this year and I'm excited to share just how far I've come and I'm still going strong.

Keep on Keepin' On, Jonelle!

No comments:

Post a Comment