Monday, December 2, 2013

Celebrating Successes

Post Number: 58
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 53 of 71 (Goal: 21)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 2845
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: None Scheduled

One of the items discussed in the Weight Watchers meeting on Saturday was making sure to celebrate your successes. There are three success I saved to celebrate today. The first one was pointed out by one of the Weight Watchers employees. She went to take my weight at the weigh in at one of the scales. I told her that I couldn't use that one. I had to use the other because my weight doesn't register on the scale she was attempting to use for me. After the meeting, as MBWM and I were leaving, she came up to inform me that I had lost enough weight that I could now use any of the scales at their office. This is very exciting. It is something worth celebrating.

The second item I want to celebrate is an unintentional downing of a high carb drink. MBWM and I were out running errands after our Weight Watchers meeting. We ran much later than we anticipated.We stopped by Del Taco. I suggested Del Taco because the filling in their Classic Grilled Chicken Burrito is chicken, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and sauce. No rice. No beans. Nothing high carb except the wrapping. I ordered two. I eat out of the innards and pass along the tortilla. I'll be good. I ordered two. I also ordered a light lemonade. I are out the inside of the burrito with some difficulty but plenty of relish and even a little gusto. But being quite thirsty, I then sucked down some lemonade. It tasted great. It didn't taste light. I continued eating the burritos and tried going easy on the lemonade, but I was thirsty. I ended up drinking down about 1/3 of a fairly large medium drink. I was bothered by that, but it was unintentional. I moved on mentally as soon as I set down the lemonade after my last drink from it.. Yes, ketosis would be shut down almost instantly. But I had six days to recover from the effect.

But I didn't recover as quickly from the shock of calculating the points. The PPV for each burrito before subtracting the tortilla is 14 points. Ouch! And I ate two. Ouch! Ouch! I subtracted out six points, three for each burrito. Still, 22 points total. Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! That's nearly as much as some people get in a day. The combination of the high carb lemonade and the high point burritos set me back physically and mentally. But that is as much time as I spent on the problem. I immediately moved right back into the proper food selection for how I am running my program. And I continued it through the meals I ate on Sunday after breaking my fast. One set back, and really a small one at that, isn't going to push me off my path. And that quick recovery from my mistake is another celebration.

The last item I want to celebrate in today's post has to do with the combination of completing governmental paperwork and getting a kick out of working with the government. I wish I could say it was the Affordable Care Act registration for a policy, but it wasn't. I am celebrating another success in the realm of interacting with the government. I was taking care of my student loan responsibilities late last week and needed to connect the Department of Education Student Loan (DoE) system into the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) system. Connecting into the DoE system can be tedious because the account holder needs to remember his Social Security Number, the first two letters of his last name, his Date of Birth, and a PIN assigned to him by the financial aid system. Fortunately, I know all of these, even the PIN. My PIN, which I did not choose, is a concatenation of two obscure, archaic abbreviation from back in the days of the UNIX mainframes. I went into the DoE system only to be pushed out to the IRS system to be able to connect the two. While connecting the first to the second, I received this notice, that I like to call truth in government:


The first line is awesome but I especially enjoyed the line, "There is no right to privacy in this system."

And so I celebrate the ability to use any of the scales at Weight Watchers. I celebrate getting back on track immediately after a combination of an unintentional mistake and consequences of a lack of research. And I celebrate the double success of completing paperwork for the government after logging into two different systems under two separate sets of credentials for MBWM and I while gaining a delightful notice to share.

Yours in celebratory exultation,

Eliot

P.S.:
Here, let me give you an opening to create your own punchline -
There is Truth in Advertising laws. There is Truth in Lending laws. Why shouldn't there be Truth in Government laws? Can you just imagine what some of those would look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment