Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Bad Spaces / Good Times - Evening Christmas Party

Post Number: 74
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 48 of 71 (Goal: 31)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 3424
     Meetings Attended: Missed Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: Delayed Bicycle machine a day

Every journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step. What the wise man didn't tell you is that first step could be a stumble as you look to the prize, gawk at the distance, and trip over the stumbling stone at your feet. My inner strength was completely missing last night. I need to figure how to avoid evening food spaces.

So here's the set-up. my calendar says that today is the last day to sign up for coverage through the Affordable Care Act (ACA). I am busily sorting through lots of data and information that I have been collecting for the last several weeks. While I am trying to figure out the ACA, Overeaters Anonymous clocks right on by. I didn't even have a single neuron fire in the direction of remembering to leave until I realize it's 12:20 pm and much too late to get to my 12 noon OA meeting. I say, no worries. There's still the Y. And then MBWM finds out and informs me there is a Christmas party at my in-laws assisted living facility. With the deadline still looming for the ACA, we now need to take a side dish. But the side dish has to be packaged to meet federal guidelines. I am bringing MBWM up to speed on the ACA while she is calling around to delis in Kuna for information that will meet the federal guidelines. We manage to get both complete but not until we discover that the deadline for signing up for an ACA plan has been extended until December 23, 2013 and we will arrive an hour late for the Christmas party.

The Christmas party was incredibly wonderful, except for the food. While the food was good, I ended up eating too much. I ate before we left, hoping to avoid eating at the party. At first, I ate good choices. And then I nibbled a little here and there on the kids' desserts. Every page of my tracker has pink highlighter displaying, "Push Hard" in the background of the tracking portion of the page. I am so very close to two incredible hurdles, 50 pounds lost and dropping into the 300's. I have those hurdles written in pen and highlighted in pink on every page. I should have taken my tracker. That might have slowed me down. And I shouldn't have eaten before I left. I could have saved myself those five points and then pushed so hard through so many points at the party. That was definitely a low in the evening.

But the evening was enjoyable and exciting otherwise. There was a singing group called the Encore Theater Carolers. They were a delight to listen to and to watch. They were dressed up in traditional English caroling outfits. They sang numerous carols, familiar and not, with skill and pizzazz. There was a little humor thrown in here and there. It was exciting all the way around.

And the highlight of the evening was the visit from Santa Claus. The gentleman did a superb job. He came in bearing a pole that he called the North Pole. He told a wonderful story of all of the items carved on it. And he was an exceptional Santa when interacting with the kids. He used smiles and humor and quick wit that makes it a delight to watch this Santa in action. At one point, Jaguar asked Santa if he was married. He replied, "Are you proposing?" He then explained that he was married. And that Mrs. Clause was unable to attend this evening. She had the special duty of getting all of the dolls ready for delivery by giving them a big hug.

And I need to give myself a mental hug because I am more than on track for my points. While I feel the need to be paying better attention, there is still success in my numbers. And as I pay attention, my inner strength will become a challenge to anything that would stand in the way of additional success. Time to pick it up from here and move on. I hope I am still on track for my 50 pounds of weight loss. I will probably beat myself senseless (mentally) if I only lose 3.6 of the 3.8 pounds I want to lose this week. And let's face it, 3.6 pounds of weight loss is still an exceptional miles stone. And that would leave another 3.6 pounds heading into the last full week of December to be able to hit the 300's before the new year. Nope, just can't convince myself yet. I can say it intellectually, but I want that 4 or 5 pounds of weight loss. Then it's only 2 or 3 for the last full week of the year. Even if either of these ends up happening, I still have so very much to look forward to, especially time spent with my family.

Yours in the pleasures of the Christmas season that spread happiness,

Eliot

P.S.: Don't confuse your path with your destination. Just because it is stormy now, doesn't mean you aren't headed for sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment