Saturday, December 21, 2013

Today is the Journey of a Lifetime

Post Number: 77
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 49 of 71 (Goal: 31)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 2358
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: At the Y -
          Swim Laps: 5 laps, 250 yards
          Water Jogging: 5 laps, 250 yards

A person I know was impressed to see his son put his life back together. When the dad asked his son how he did it, the son responded, "Every morning when I wake up, I remind myself that today is the journey of a lifetime."

I'm not sure that I can live that way at this point in my life every day, but I certainly like the idea: Make every day special. Take advantage of what the day has to offer you to continue your journey. Granted, it's hard to see washing the dishes or folding laundry as special. But I hope I can make it that way by reminding myself that this is a service to my family. That, plus the fact that every journey starts with preparation. Once I get passed the dishes, the best part of the journey is right in front of me. I have completed much preparation. And when I perform some of those and other services with members of my family, it can have a warm and wonderful effect. But in the end, how I treat the journey is up to me. Am I an extra in a movie who walks across the screen in the background while dialog is in the foreground? Or am I the author taking the time to create the story line that motivates me towards the ending of my design? Either option is okay, because the journey of today may be exciting as an extra. The journey may be thrilling as the author. What matters, it seems to me, is whether or not I have made it my journey. Too often, I am easily upset when the journey I planned is delayed or canceled. And then the journey of the lifetime takes on a new meaning by giving me the opportunity to enjoy restoring the journey to the path of my choosing. That path of my choosing may not be the one originally planned, but there's no reason why I cannot IVCUFI.

I'm not sure of the method that will make every day the journey of a lifetime. But I know I can make today something worth serving as words to be written in the journal of my life.

May we find the altruistic motivation that lifts us up during the mundane to achieve the goals that will make life not only the daily journey but the journey a daily life,

Yours in the search for that motivation,

Eliot

P.S.: I am grateful for it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment