Thursday, January 9, 2014

Keep On Keepin' On

Post Number: 95
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Used/Left: 22/49 of 71 (Goal: 26/45)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 7255
     Meetings Attended: Missed Weight Watchers - Job Applications
     Exercise Completed: At the Y -
          Swam Laps (6 laps, 300 yards)
          Water Jogged (3 laps, 150 yards)
     M-W's Daily Word: Plastron

Late in the afternoon two days ago, with the sun well on its way to calling it a night, I saw a single snowflake gently drifting around the sky heading in no particular direction. As I watched it float up and down, drift back and forth, it's motion rather drowsy, I initially wondered if it was even a snowflake. After observing it for a few moments, I decided it was a snowflake. I am an optimist who enjoys the snow, after all. I asked the snowflake if it was a lone wolf, if a snowflake could be such thing, or the scout sent to determine the enemy's strengths, or part of the first wave of a vicious onslaught. I don't know which it was, but there were several inches of snow waiting for me yesterday morning. I debated driving through the 17 miles of snow to the Y, but decided the continuous and vigorous amount of snow still coming down at six in the morning made it a good idea to postpone the travels for later in the day. Instead, I took up my snow shovel and proceeded to clear the walkway first and then driveway. I managed to shovel the entire walkway and about a half of the driveway before the muscles complaining from elliptical exertions of two days ago made it clear my efforts were over.

But I did it. I pushed on through the work and the exhaustion. And Jaguar and Lemur were there to help me initially. Later on, Iguana went out to help finish up the job. And then the three middle kids had a blast in the snow. They tracked some of the snow back onto the cement. And then sweet Jaguar went out and cleared the cement again.

What I really need to clear is a few of the job applications off of my application list. But I'm not really in the swing of the job search, much to my surprise and dismay. For most jobs, I copy the job description into a separate file. Then from that file, I make a bulleted list of all of the points in the description. From that list, I create another list with where I write out my skills and education as responses to all of the points. From those responses, I take the resume template closest to my needs. I then build the responses into the positions where I learned those skills. I then work at discerning what points are the key points to work my abbreviated responses into the cover letter. If there are responses that are something of a stretch. For example, a bachelor's degree is psychology, sociology, or similar science is required where my education is in chemistry and mathematics. Then my response revolves attaching those aspects of my education or experience that meet the criteria behind the point without being letter-for-letter what the potential employer is requesting. I then emphasize those attachments in the Qualifications Summary at the top of the resume. The problem with this technique is that it is very time consuming until plenty of practice has passed. I'm still on the first of four applications of this latest round of job searching. Not to mention my networking has stalled while completing the applications, shoveling the snow, spending time time to, from, and at the Y, and other necessary concerns with a few less-than-necessary concerns thrown in.

But life doesn't stall. It keeps on keepin' on. And I have to do the same.

Today is about the resumes. I still hope to get in time at the Y on the machines, but we shall see. My bed provided me with a rude awakening last night by falling apart around 2 am. MBWM braced up the corner that disintegrated with a stack of books. But the book gave way this morning. That signaled it was time to get out of bed.

Yours in the struggle for a better tomorrow,

Eliot

P.S.: Another quote by that most famous and productive of writers, Anonymous: -

Never let success go to your head. Never let failure get to your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment