Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Who Knew A Trial Would Arrive So Soon? Or...

Post Number: 116
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily PPV Used/Left: 23/48 of 71 (Goal: 28/43)
     Pedometer Reading: 6438 (paused)
     Meetings Attended: Missed Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: At the Y -
          Recumbent Elliptical Machine
               15 minutes & 1.2 miles @ 2.0 resistance
          Swam Laps (7 laps, 350 yards)
     M-W's Daily Word: Logy

A.S.:
Who Knew the Trial Would Arrive so Soon?
Or That Hope Would Alight in the Darkness so Quickly?

Yesterday started a little rough. The exercise on the machine went fairly well. I left my phone in my locker so I missed tuning out by tuning in the radio stations that were broadcasting the audio from the big screen TVs I was facing. But I pushed through the 15 minutes on the recumbent elliptical machine. It was somewhat difficult, but I did it. Then I went on to the pool. This is where I wanted to be. Near the start of the first lap, my thigh muscles were complaining about having to swim. Near the end of the second lap, my upper arm muscles were likewise complaining. I was once again having to push to be able to keep up a plodding pace. Near the end of my seven laps I tried increasing to a sprinting pace. My muscles weren't going to have anything to do with that. I finished the seven laps and could go no further. I sat in the pool for quite awhile before I could even get out. Changing into my street clothes was a strenuous exercise in and of itself by this point in time. I was so grateful that the car does most of the work of getting me home.

While I was home on Monday, my efforts were about getting on track with the job searching. I updated my profiles at the temp agencies in the valley. I attempted to reapply for the customer service center that Maximus is trying to staff. I couldn't get into my account, even with the automated assistance available on their web page. That was okay. There were other places I could go online, profiles to update, jobs to search, etc. And that was going to be my plan for today. But the universe had another plan.

And I even made something of a prophetic comment two days ago on the universe's plan for me yesterday. My closing line was "Yours in the hope for survival ahead of the trial, exercise or otherwise." I suspected something might be coming, but I chalked it up to nerves not foreboding. This time, I should have been paying better attention. Out of the blue, our property management company called us to say they were giving us a 24 hours inspection notice. They specifically mentioned the trailer and trash in the front yard. The trailer's return to the back yard had been stalled because the frozen ground prevented us from opening or closing the gate to the back yard. I asked for permission to cut off some of the bottom of the gate. They provided it. I put a strip of subflooring down I have and ran a saw along the strip to cut off the bottom of the gate. The gate swung freely and the trailer was quickly if not easily stashed.

As for the trash, there was no trash. The only loose items in the front yard were our cars, trash cans and snow shovels. It took some rearranging in our cluttered garage, but we were able get both garbage cans into the garage. The snow shovels were quickly ensconced in the warm safety of the garage as well. That took care of the motivation that prompted the inspection.

Next was the care of the inside of the house. Our house is still quite cluttered. The inside of our house is a mix of stashes of boxes, living out of boxes, organized living, and daily living. This situation would get some attention, but there wasn't much that could be done. And there is the small portions of degradation that comes form having kids that we were absolutely going to reverse. And of course, Murphic Entropy stepped in. While we were thus engaged in disengaging as much natural entropy as possible, Murphic Entropy made sure that we had a toilet overflow, a plugged tub, and a broken toilet seat in the kids bathroom.

Because of the urgent nature of the work induced by the inspection, I didn't attend OA. That made me a little disappointed and frustrated. There is so much we have to be doing to be able to keep the family moving in the best direction. And this and other events of interference can be disheartening. And those feelings didn't push me into any bad food decisions. I admit, the Skinny Cow Mint Ice Cream Sandwich MBWM ate was looking yummy. But a small nibble and I was satisfied.

But the reason for this issue would probably never be satisfied. Amid the introspection concerning so many problems that had me asking, "Is it I?", a ray a cheer arrived. A special, anonymous someone had sent MBWM some cash. That ray of cheer was very much needed, not only for the assistance it will provide down the bumpy road we are traveling, but also for the timing of bringing some light into our dark day.

Right now, it is also a dark day; the sun hasn't come up. But once I return from the Y, I will be heading into the urgency of the inspection preparation. And that will probably continue right up until the inspectors arrive. And so, with gratitude in my heart and the hope that someday soon I can provide a ray of cheer to someone else as well, I bid you adieu.

Yours in the gratitude of the single ray delivered by another's kindness amid the shadows,

Eliot

P.S.: At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. - Albert Schweitzer

No comments:

Post a Comment