Friday, January 3, 2014

What We Love

Post Number: 89
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily Points Left: 48 of 71 (Goal: 31)
     Weekly Points Left: 49 of 49 (Goal: 49)
     Pedometer Reading: 9027
     Meetings Attended: Overeaters Anonymous
     Exercise Completed: Bicycle Machine (10.5 minutes & 1.4 miles @ 1-3 resistance)
     M-W's Daily Word: Writhe

A.S.: What we love is where we spend our time.

MBWM shared that statement with me a few days ago. And it's been lingering in my heart and mind for the last several days. I believe this is demonstrated in my life by spending my time in all of these health improvement efforts. I would rather make sure I am making better health decisions than many other options. Although I have to avoid the sophistry of calling sleep a health option or I'll be hibernating.

When I first joined the ranks of the unemployed, I was excited. The local channel 12.2 carries a station known as ME-TV. ME-TV stands for Memorable Entertainment Television. It hosts television shows going back decades. I doubt they carry anything more recent than the 1970's. I imagined catching up on some of the shows I enjoy. In the morning, I planned to watch Perry Mason and Ironside. In the afternoon, Adam-12 and Dragnet. I realized yesterday morning that my heart must not be in watching television. I haven't watched any of those in months. Because ME-TV changes out their lineup every quarter, I don't even know if any of those are still being broadcast.

What is being broadcast into my head these days is the need for employment. While I had been excitedly pursuing authorship with input from an exceptional writer, the time necessary for authoring has been reduced in priority. And today, an unexpected slap in the face has provided me with even more intense motivation for my job search. I've already networked into former and current employees at Hewlett-Packard, Micron, University of Phoenix, and Northwest Nazarene College. Nothing worthy of reporting in terms of a job lead yet, but the people I've talked to have the strong desire to help me back into full employment. I do believe that I will be extending that network of contacts tomorrow by following up on their suggestions first and then pursuing new connection after that.

All of this intense connection building comes about from the face slap. This afternoon, MBWM received a phone call from a collections agency. It seems our prior property management company, that tossed us out on our ear without explanation although intimated that the owner wanted us out, sent an unpaid debt in our name to collections for $2012.04. The phone call was the first we heard of the property management company billing us. I correctly deduced that the problem was the address they used was the wrong one. A representative at the property management company confirmed that the wrong zip code was used. I asked them to please call off the collections agency, because I had no option of paying the bill as I didn't have the information. She was going to pass it to her manager. The manager will call back

And when the manager calls back, the next chapter will begin. There is no way for me to pay off the debt. I am hoping two things will be accomplished with the phone call. First, that the management company will assume the debt again. Second, she will accept payments. And for me to be able to make those payments, I need an income.

But while I am in need of that income, there is something even better than income that I noticed during the initial stages of this crisis. Actually, this crisis came on the heals of two other crises, but I'm just going to focus on this one. I have received or built much strength through my experiences in the last few weeks and months. That strength kept me on an even keel. This debt is still distressing. And it may try to push me towards the depressing if things work against me. But this is just another crisis in a long line of crises. I don't have to let the nature of the beast that seeks to have me either lash out or hibernate have sway in my thoughts, words, and deeds. If ever I have known equanimity, it has been today. I do have the strength to appreciate the important concerns right now. I don't have the will, however, to apply that strength to overcome the sheer pleasure that comes about from the fact that there is a "For Rent" sign in front of our old house as of the day before this posting.

I am grateful for the strength, but that particular strength doesn't transfer to the body. I worked out at the Home Court YMCA today. It's in Meridian and much closer. Unfortunately, they don't have any recumbent elliptical machines and the two recumbent bicycle machines were taken. The workout on the standard bicycle machine was interesting. I hit the button for weight loss and entered my age. Based on my heart beat, it wanted me to slow down in both the valleys and peaks of the workout. My speed was 4 mph for the valleys. I didn't seem to be able to peddle slower without stopping or creating an irregular rotation. My speed was 11 mph for the peaks. I didn't want to slow down. All I know is that my legs are not going to appreciate swimming tomorrow morning.

I appreciate the strength I have gained. I hope it will be with me throughout the upcoming stresses, crises, and trails. And I cannot being to express the gratitude for the incredible woman that is pursing life at my side. I know she will be with me as we support each other through the upcoming stresses, crises, and trails. We enjoy being each other's helpmeet, friend, pranksters, confidante, co-worker, lover, and so much more.

Yours in the strength of love and the loving strength that follows,

Eliot

P.S.: 
For My Beautiful, Beguiling, Bewitching, Beloved M,

I feel blessed to have you in my life. You have shared the same sentiment with me. This turns out to be perfect! Why? Because you can't have it all unless you have someone to share it with.

All My Eternal Love,

Me (AKA: Yours)

No comments:

Post a Comment