Sunday, February 9, 2014

I've Hit My Stride! (Evaluation: Week 24)

Last Weigh In: Saturday, 8 February 2014

Weight Information -
  • Weight: 368.4 lbs
  • Weight Change:
    • This Week: -7.0 lbs
    • To Date: -84.8 lbs
  • Weight Gauge: I've Hit My Stride
  • Body Mass Index: 57.7 (down from 58.8)
  • Daily PPV:
    • Assigned: 69 (Down 2 {finally})
    • Personal: 28 (unchanged)
  • PPV This Week: 
    • Used: 152 out of 497
    • Not Used: 345 (69.4%)
Goals (Description / Evaluation) -
  • Chronological Goal: No longer obese in 2014 / Well on my way. Latest projections for leaving behind morbidly obese using:
    • The last 15 weeks of data: Between July 3, 2014 and July 6, 2014
    • All 24 weeks of data: Between August 20, 2014 and September 7, 2014
  • Employment Goals
    • Make at least 5 networking contacts each week. / Didn't make many meaningful connections today for positions to apply for but did make new networking connections to will hopefully lead to positions, directly or indirectly. This is, unless the teaching or chemist position pan out.
    • Apply for at least 5 positions each week / Applying for positions is time consuming but I am hitting this one and then some. Particularly excited by positions applied for this week and some of the feedback I've received.
  • Weight Watchers Awards this Week:
    • 5 lbs - For passing another 5 pound mark
    • 5 lbs - For passing yet another 5 pound mark
  • Number Goals: Direction is exciting. Quantity is pure ecstasy. Or to borrow from M-W's thesaurus: elatedness, elation, euphoria, exhilaration, paradise, rapture, rhapsody
    • Weight: Passed one weight loss hurdle: Leave behind 71 PPV (WW assigned value). Next hurdles are a little farther away.
      • 20% Weight Loss at 362.4 lbs / 6.0 lbs away
      • 100 Pounds Lost at 353.2 lbs / 15.2 lbs away
      • Transition off of Kimkins at 350.0 lbs / 18.4 lbs away
    • BMI: Reach a value below 40.0 (morbidly obese) / 17.7 away
    • PPV Not Used this Week: 301 PPV / 345 PPV - Beat goal by 44
  • Waist Goal: Lose another available hole in the belt until I need to switch to a new belt. / Belt is comfortable and effective at 5 available holes. 6 is ineffective. 4 is workable. 3 is uncomfortable. This is actually a reversal in direction. Given my weight loss, I attribute this to changes in the shape of my tummy.
  • Feel Good Goal: Consistent practice of my meditation and relaxation techniques / Meditation was more hit than miss this week, mostly because of new lows in exhaustion last week forced me to pay more attention to what I was doing. Continuing review and research of meditation. Didn't start relaxation techniques this week. Will try again this week.
  • Physical Goals: 
    • Put on the seat belt in my car using both straps, not one strap. / Not quite ready to call this one met but it is quite close. Not too hard to do without my coat. Difficult but doable with my coat.
    • Walk upright up the stairs of my house every time using the railing only for precaution. / I still need to mountaineer my way up the stairs.
    • Tie my shoes unassisted anywhere. / I cannot tie my shoes without physical aids but it is getting easier. I didn't need any personalized assistance this week.
    • Take a bath in my bathtub. / My bathtub is big enough, but I cannot get into or out of it when it's dry without painful exertion. This would negate any lasting value to the bath. Don't want to try to get out when wet yet.
  • The Y: Swim laps four days next week. Use the recumbent elliptical machine ahead of swimming. I am going to set my alarm for 5 am for next week. / Arrived at the Y, pushed against the elliptical, swam my laps, came home, all before 7:30 am for five days in a row. Very difficult work out that I feel in my knee and ankle joints and in my arm and leg muscles. I will try this for one more week before deciding what changes to make. Managed to get through four days this week at the Y. It left my joints hurting. Normally my joints recover within 24 hours so returning to the Y isn't a bother. This week makes me wonder if I am doing more damage than harm. Used Anytime Fitness on Friday. Exercising there exacerbated the painful joints. I am going to focus on cardio at the Y and muscle building at Anytime Fitness while the free trial is active.
  • Alternative to the Y: I need to research further for options outside of the Nampa Rec Center and Axiom. / I liked Anytime Fitness. I liked Freedom Fitness a little more. Both places have the problem of few machines for me to use for cardio. Researched Idaho Athletic Club. I'm not sure that it is any better an option because of the distance factor. Hopefully, I will be employed soon. With employment, fees and distance become less of an issue.
  • Exercise without the Gym: Locate workouts options that don't involve a gym. / Starting this week. I already have work out cards from Weight Watchers. Online resources so far have been few and far between because of the disparity between level of fitness that I posses and the article requires. Articles like this oneMy focus has been to locate exercises that fall into the following pattern from a WebMD article.
  • Weight Watchers:
    • Use the paper tracker to record calculated points every day this week. / I have tracked for 16 weeks. The only day I missed was Christmas. Go me!
    • Keep available PPV at 28 for my daily points instead of 69 as assigned by WW. / Easy! I have even been eating a little less than this. The assigned points have finally started decreasing. Eventually, the assigned points and my personal points will meet up somewhere. That will be an exciting day. As will the restoration of the 49 weekly points.
    • Range of PPV in past has varied daily between 6 and 18 points from goal in one week. Keep range to 4 points except while fasting. / This week wasn't very good. But I'm not going spend all that much mental energy on this one.
    • Avoid using 49 weekly points. Daily points leave 41 available every day. That's 287 left over points available per week. / Nailed it!
    • Attend two meetings this week. Scheduled for Wednesday and Saturday. / Missed Wednesday. Wednesday is frequently a problem. No more scheduling visits or activities anywhere near Wednesday's meeting. And while I didn't schedule anything over this meeting, life did.
  • Overeaters Anonymous: 
    • Attend two meetings this week. Scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday. / Missed Thursday night because of a family crisis. Can't schedule those events. I'll keep scheduling the OA meetings as planned and refuse to schedule things ahead of them. Well... Except a home school group field trip to the Basque Museum.
    • Perform moral inventory for Step 4. / Didn't work on this one at all. I will work on it this week. I have even put it into my calendar.
  • Never Ceases to Amuse Me Blog: Journal 300 out of 365 days. / Journaled 39 of 39 days so far this year.
  • Reading Materials - Self-assigned reading assignments
    • What Color is Your Parachute? - Starting to read this week / Didn't read at all this week. Putting reading time into calendar.
    • This is How to Get Your Next Job - Starting to read this week / Didn't read at all this week. Putting reading time into calendar.
    • Start Strong. Finish Strong. - Read Chapter 4 / Finished Chapter 3
    • AA Big Book - Read Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 of the AA Big Book. / Read a little of Chapter 5 two weeks ago. Didn't read at all this week. Putting reading time into calendar.
    • Some books I want to read soon but don't have time but want to read right now:
      • WW Find Your Fingerprint
      • The Doctor is In
      • Good Calories. Bad Calories.
  • Hot Button Review
    • Mental-Function - Had surges this week with the resume work on Friday, but most days exhaustion from lack of sleep created weakened mental functioning.
    • Spiritual - Good week for the most part this week. Felt very supported. Makes me want to return to exercise and avoid poor food choices.
    • Numbers-Game - No idea what my numbers are now except blood pressure, so focusing on this one.
  • Sticky Notes
    • Be active for 5 minutes out of every sedentary hour
    • Push for another WooHoo Weigh In!
    • Put down the fork and sip water between bites
    • Eat more veggies
    • No high carb nibbling. Kimkins separation in T-minus 25 pounds.
    • Get to Bed! 5 AM Comes Early!!
Because this next month is very likely my last month of attending Weight Watchers, I am going to push hard to get my 100 pounds lost washer. It's the last token Weight Watchers offers. I will have 6 more meetings left. The projections say that I will pass 100 pounds as late as March 20th (Yay!) or as early as February 26th (Super Yay!). Since my last meeting as things stand now is March 22nd, this will be close. Taking a quick look at the weight loss per week, I have to lose more than 2.5 pounds per week for the next 6 weeks. That might be too much in most cases, but given recent history, it is certainly achievable. Here are the numbers that show how many pounds per week I have to lose to achieve the 100 pounds lost washer based on which meeting I receive it at:

Weight Watchers Meeting
Weight Loss per Week for 100 lbs Lost
2/15/2014 15.2
2/22/2014 7.6
3/1/2014 5.1
3/8/2014 3.8
3/15/2014 3.0
3/22/2014 2.5

My biggest concern here is not the dieting for the short-term weight loss, it's the exercise for long-term maintenance. I intellectually want to continue the exercise. It is important to long-term weight loss. But physically, I am intensely drained. And without a gym for the workout, I'm not sure that I can push myself as hard as I do at the gym. We shall see. One week at a time to face these concerns. Sometimes, one day at a time. Sometimes, one hour at a time.

I've Hit My Stride! Now comes the effort behind keepin' on.


Looking Forward:
  • Stay on program with Weight Watchers, especially keeping the daily points consumed to a daily maximum of 28 and a daily range of 24-28 PPV.
  • Avoid the temptation of high carb nibbles into my week.
  • Stay on track with swimming laps but move it to 5:30 am.
  • Attend Anytime Fitness for muscle building work outs Monday through Thursday (last day of free trial)
  • Attend all meetings. Don't schedule things before them except a home school group field trip to the Basque Museum.
  • Hold onto the joyful feelings of this day to get me through the the times of lesser success in weight loss, the trudging through job searching, and other complications life will be throwing my way.
IVCUFI:
IV - I have found the way of making weight loss by food selection work for me.
CU - I have seized the road by facing down physical discouragements to continue exercising and, more importantly, explore other work out options.
FI - I am enjoying the journey by reveling in the continued consternation of my Weight Watchers leader.


Post Number: 127
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily PPV Used/Left: 10/59 of 69 (Goal: 28/41) {Started fasting}
     Pedometer Reading: 7239
     Meetings Attended: Weight Watchers
     Exercise Completed: None Scheduled
     Page Views to Date: 1683 (Increased by 72 Page Views This Week)

Upon seeing my weight loss of 7.0 pounds, Robin, the Saturday morning Weight Watchers leader, said she would like to be happy for me but she is concerned about the rate of the weight loss. I should have said, "So be happy for me." She has explained her concerns in the past. I understand them. But right now, I need to lower my weight. In the future, I will fine tune the habits for the long-term. I haven't been telling her how it is I've been losing the weight so quickly, but I still consider the rapid weight loss important for the first 100 pounds. After that, I will be leaving Kimkins behind. At that point, I expect weight loss to slow down a little. Of course, I won't have Weight Watchers fairly soon or the Y even sooner, so I will need to design what I am going to implement during the transition.

And at this stage of the day, I am going to transition myself right off the computer and into my day of rest. I desperately need to do the spiritual work of the day and the physical rest.

Yours in the series of WooHoo! moments that thrill the soul,

Eliot

P.S.:



NOTES
Weight Watchers, 8 February 2014
Last Month's Theme: Start Celebrating

What choices from last week made you want to celebrate?
  • Started using kettle bells
  • Started using stationary bike
  • Able to remove boot from foot surgery
  • Made it to today's meeting through the snow
  • Traveled for four days, worked out six. Craving exercise after sitting in a conference all day
  • Stayed the same weight
  • Exercised everyday of the week
What challenges this week?
  • Sinus infection for two weeks
    • Can't taste food very well
    • Suggestion: add more spices for flavor, especially garlic and cayenne
  • Increased activity
  • Really hungry
    • The cold, lack of sunshine influence mood
    • Eat fruits and veggies, they're zero points
    • Drink more water
How do you keep going after a gain?
  • Try and try again
  • P!nk's song "Try"
  • Get back to program
  • Teamwork
The Power of Routines
What are some of your routines? How do your routines influence your choices?
  • Clean the house
  • Shower
  • Coffee every morning
  • Coming to meeting
  • Wear activity meter
  • Daily crossword
  • Sleep
  • Breakfast
Routines in Weight Watchers  - easy, doable activities that are performed without thinking about them. List on page 8 of the Weekly - List of Routines

What routine is right for you?
  • Pick a routine new to you that feels most doable to you right now on page 9 of the Weekly
  • Record selection
    • Which Weight Watchers Routine feels most doable to you right now? Know what you are having for lunch
    • What do you think this Routine can do for you, physically and/or mentally? Helps with not only what I eat but when. If I don't know what I am going to eat, I frequently eat much later than I should. This encourages over-eating.
    • What challenges do you foresee to making this Routine truly yours? Doing the actual planning
    • How can you overcome those challenges? Plan today at lunch for tomorrow
    • What can you do now to start making this Routine a part of your life? Write down tomorrow's lunch right now: Pork with onions, green beans
  • In your groups discuss the questions 
  • Prepare your own meals
  • Pick the one you know you will do
"Excellence is not a singular act, but a habit. You are what you repeatedly do." - Shaquille O'Neal

Next Week: When food is not the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment