Thursday, February 6, 2014

Peace N Love

Post Number: 124
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily PPV Used/Left: 22/49 of 71 (Goal: 28/43)
     Pedometer Reading: 6621
     Meetings Attended: Missed Weight Watchers (Distracted by job searching)
     Exercise Completed: At the Y -
          Octane Recumbent Elliptical Machine (upgrade from the SciFit)
               20 minutes & 2.74 miles @ level 4 setting (used just legs)
          Swam Laps (7 laps, 350 yards)
    M-W's Word of the DayMeed (not to be confused with the drink Mead)

On my way home, I was listening to a conference talk from my church called, Do We Know What We Have? I enjoy technology. I selected the talk to listen before starting the trip home, plugged my phone into stereo system, and listened to whatever floats my boat at that point in time. When Iguana was with me earlier this week, I asked him what he wanted to listen to next when the conference talk was done. He said, "Angry Birds." I let him play the game. My car actually is old enough, I mean, luxurious enough to have a tape player. And I have a unit that looks like a cassette tape with a cord sticking out of it. That cord plugs into an audio jack of my phone, while the tape ends up in the tape player.

I was thus engaged in continuing the conference talk I had paused for a text conversation with MBWM. I enjoy technology. At red lights, I would speak into my phone and it would send the words. While thus engaged in turning back on the talk, I noticed the SUV next to me. It was a dark red, mid-size for an SUV, more curves than typical for an SUV. I then went on with my driving. I was on the inside lane and completed the left turn off of the freeway onto the bridge before the SUV but it tried to make up the distance. I picked the inside lane because it is more likely to have fewer cars. There are fewer cars because so many people take the left two lights later. I was second in line at that light, which was red when I arrived. The SUV was fifth in line in the other lane. The SUV was also behind a school bus. I ended up being in front for the long straight quick shot down Meridian road to Kuna when the car in front of me turned into the suicide lane after a few hundred feet and went a different direction. I hadn't thought of the SUV again until several miles later when it managed to pass me after working back and forth between the two lanes to position itself into a clear lane. It managed to get caught at the light at Columbia while my lagging distance allowed me to sail through the intersection at about 45 mph and accelerating. Several cars had turned off of Columbia to make repeated lane changing a repeated necessity for the SUV to catch up with me once more. The SUV didn't pass me because it was slowing to take the turn at Deer Flat several miles later. I couldn't help having a little bit of a chuckle at the vanity license plate: PEACNLV

While I was working on the Octane, there was an unpleasant intrusion on my peace. I had tried to work my arms and my legs but I couldn't quite get the right motion. I went back to using just my legs. There are a couple grab bars near the seat of the chair. I grabbed them. And to my surprise, the level started increasing making the machine more difficult for my legs to pump. I looked down to discover buttons for changing the level. I changed back down to 4 from 10. This just served to remind me that I really want to learn how to set up the adjustments on the seat to be able to pump with my arms while I am pushing with my feet.

I pushed through several tasks of yesterday. There was the job searching. I had several leads that didn't pan out. But they gave me more ideas on where to look. I will be pursuing those today. Then MBWM asked if I'd drive her through her errands. The roads were slickery (slick and slippery) and she didn't want to be out in them. I was glad to have the chance to help out. And as soon as I was home, it was back to the job search working through the repetitive daily tasks of checking common websites (careerbuilder, monster, city, county, state web sites, dice, HP, Micron, and quite a few others). The nice thing is that I only have to look at new job posts when I am checking them consistently, which speeds up the search process. And to be honest, my goal is only to check them three times a week.

But the week is getting away and so is the day.

Yours in the work of rising to the next challenge,

Eliot

P.S.: This week will be a series of pictures that I found while cleaning out my smart phone.

We cooked fries for the first time in months. And what do my kids do with them?



It's always exciting to go digging through my Camera Roll and locating pictures I didn't know were taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment