Thursday, February 20, 2014

Learning from History

Post Number: 138
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily PPV Used/Left: 38/31 of 69 (Goal: 28/41)
     Pedometer Reading: 4480
     Meetings Attended: Missed Weight Watchers {Family urgency}
     Exercise Completed: Missed Exercise at the Y {MBWM needed assistance.}
     M-W's Word of the DaySenescence

I was up at 5 am to go to the Y. But MBWM was having medical problems, old and new. I helped her out instead of heading to the Y. And that led to other fallout that kept me from the Y and Weight Watchers. And that led me to other problems in food selection. Decisions I wish I had made after researching my past weight loss experiences instead of before.

After an extensive review of my past weight loss excursions. I came across a disturbing trend that might help explain some of the problems I am encountering right now. For three of the last five attempts at losing weight, I reached approximately 80 pounds lost, stopped, struggled briefly, and then gave in and gradually added to my weight. For the the other two, (140 pounds lost and 220 pounds lost) there was weight gain, weight wobbles, or weight plateau for a few weeks before passing into the 90 pounds lost.

I need to explore this some more, especially given the lack of exercise and the increase in points consumed of the last few days. I have been extremely hungry for the last couple weeks, but now I am giving in to it. Exercise tomorrow morning first thing. Then menu planning. I will be expecting a weight gain this Saturday. But I will be working now for the weigh-in the Saturday after that. And the depths of this situation need to be explored.

Some of this is the timing of the universe. Tuesday was the first day I was feeling good enough to get back to the Y. But that was the day of my interview. And yesterday, MBWM needed my assistance. Today, the Y has been restored, but only for another eight days of availability.

Some of this is the changing natures of the weight loss beast. Hunger has been a factor for nearly two weeks. I hoped that sticking to my food selection would help get me through it. Since that hope hasn't materialized into reality, it's time to explore what happens next. I have corrections to make to finish out this week and get into next week.

Some of this is the compulsive nature of my eating. I was focused and driven toward good decisions while sick and hungry and preparing for my interview. But the getting through the interview shouldn't mean that it's time to celebrate with calories.

And there needs to be further self-exploration, meditation, and research. I want to know more about this so I can be sure to reach and then keep my weight loss goals.

Yours in the certainty that these last two weeks are part of the learning curve,

Eliot

P.S.: It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people. - Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet

No comments:

Post a Comment