Saturday, February 15, 2014

Attention to Detail: Weight Loss Down / Interview Skills Up

Post Number: 133
Review of Yesterday's Progress
     Daily PPV Used/Left: 20/49 of 69 (Goal: 28/41)
     Pedometer Reading: 2892
     Meetings Attended: None Scheduled
     Exercise Completed: Missed Exercising at the Y {Down with a bug}

A.A.A.S.: A couple of favorites, starting with -

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no; it is an ever-fixed mark, 
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks 
Within his bending sickle's compass come; 
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, 
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved. 

A.A.S: Since this blog entry was being set-up on Valentine's Day in preparation for recording my efforts the day after, I wanted to take a moment and record my favorite Shakespearean Sonnet (116). For a paraphrase and analysis, see the details at Shakespeare Online. I also wanted to record the sentiments of the card my wife gave me this morning. It was a wonderful, loving sentiment made all the more deeply personal for how true it is to both of us.

A.S.:
For My Valentine

When I first fell in love with you,
I thought life was as good as it could get.
I loved you - You loved me,
And nothing else in the world seemed to matter.
I never imagined how much better
I'd come to know you,
Care about you,
And love you...

When I first fell in love with you,
I thought our love was as good as it could get.
But it just gets better all the time.

Happy Valentine's Day

This is so true!
I love you with all of my heart
(and butt because it's bigger...)!

M
AKA: Eternally Yours

I so enjoy being a hopeless romantic. And it helps to have someone like MBWM to pour out my affections upon.

*sigh*


Back to the realities of diet, exercise, and job searching.


It's a good thing I was working hard on my job search before watching Stigma - The Human Cost of Obesity. That short has the following information:


  • Workplace discrimination is:
  • 12x more likely if you are overweight
  • 30x more likely if you are obese
  • 100x more likely if you are extremely obese
  • The Weight of the Nation: 
  • Part 4 - Challenges - HBO / YouTube {Mislabeled as Part 3 on YouTube}
  • Plus there are twelve shorts. YouTube links are used (Not all links are provided. I didn't have that much available time two days ago or yesterday when I was making this list). The Weight of the Nation Shorts:
  • A Model of Community Action
  • Nashville Takes Action
  • Can Excess Weight Lead to Heart Disease?
  • How Wellness Programs Can Help the Workforce
  • Is Weight Something We Inherit?
  • Obesity Research and the NIH
  • And a few other extras


This wasn't exactly encouraging when it came to thinking about my job search, especially the interview portion that needs to occur. That is where I may feel the discrimination. This means I have to shine even brighter to overcome the shadows my weight will be casting. I just never realized how wide a shadow it would be casting. I have succeeded at this before, most recently at ITT. I will do the work to reach success while interviewing again. Getting the interview is the focus of the moment. When planning for the interview, I am focusing on the book This Is How to Get Your Next Job by Andrea Kay. She starts with some compelling information mixing poor performances by job applicants with the views of the hiring managers dealing with those applicants. She has several tests and exercises that I have bookmarked that I will be completing soon. From the results, she walks you through using that information. She also has several chapters of don'ts. While the don't chapters rarely have specifics that apply to me in the first place (seeming more like common sense), I review them to make sure I haven't missed anything. When the reader has completed the tests and exercises, she takes the reader through the process of how to appear the way the potential employers will view the reader as seeming to fit the bill. She emphasizes this frequently. While it's not fair, the way you seem is the only information the interviewer has to go on.

Fortunately for weight loss, there is much to go on, most especially the way my body feels. As far as weight loss, it feels great. As for exercise, not exercising feels fairly good, unfortunately. As for the bug, yesterday was worse than the day before. I struggled through a few responsibilities. To help out with the alternately plugged or dripping sinuses, I added hot sauce to my food. And while I was eating, my sinuses were at their best. But within minutes of getting done eating, the sinuses returned to their prior state. I need to be concentrating on getting better.


Getting over this bug is important because I had a great phone call. BSU wants to interview me for a teaching position. This is where I focus on applying the resources I have at my disposal. Practicing the tough interview questions. Preparing two or three focused elevator speeches. This is where I shine. This is my favorite part of the job search process. My only concern is that this bug might linger through Tuesday. MBWM dealt with it for three weeks. She has cut way back on the kisses while I've been sick. She doesn't want to catch it again. Fortunately, there are drugs that can help me overcome the symptoms. Better living through chemistry. My only concern there is the OTC drugs for which high blood pressure is a contraindication. I do not take those.


And I do take to the road today. I am off to Weight Watchers. I hope the illness has assisted my weight loss.


Yours in the upcoming excitement of today's weigh in and next week's interview,


Eliot



P.S.: While I wrote this PS and PPS yesterday, nothing in these post-scripts has changed in the intervening 24 hours, having neither time nor energy.

I heard about an HBO documentary better than a week ago. It's taken all that time to finish watching in portions all of part one (Consequences) of the documentary The Weight of the Nation. It intrigued me enough that I also managed to work in enough time to watch one of the shorts associated with the documentary. Here are the links from The Weight of the Nation at HBO website and YouTube that I want to make available:

My hope is that by providing these links, I will have a place to come back to where all of the information is stored. If this list is used by anyone else, I will be all the more thrilled. Hopefully, I will remember to come back and fill in all of the missing links. Thank the heavens above that there are electronic calendars. It should be pointed out that HBO has a website set aside that has much more information. I haven't purused that information either in the interest of time for job searching. But again, I will have this page to remind me.

P.P.S.: Some Weighty Irony - While at YouTube, watching the segment Stigma - The Human Cost of Obesity, I opened a link in a new window to come back to later. As of this writing, I haven't gotten back to the video Top Ten Obesity Causing Foods! Worst Fattening Foods NOT to Eat | Weight Loss, Healthy Diet Tips, but I couldn't resist including a screenshot because of the irony of the topics juxtaposed from the advertisement ahead of the video and the upcoming video itself. Take a look:


How much you wanna bet that cheese, hamburger, or cheeseburgers are in the list in one form or another?

No comments:

Post a Comment